Four Interesting Khichdi Recipes
Khichdi is a healthy and delicious Indian dish made with rice or millets and moong lentils. Depending on preference, other ingredients such as ghee, cumin seeds, ginger, power-packed seeds, and moringa can be used. It is a simple and humble dish that is often served to newborns and people recuperating from sickness. The bland taste of this food makes it popular among babies and the sick. However, a well-made khichdi is not only wholesome but also very tasty and flavoursome. Normal people can consume it as part of their healthy diet on a regular basis.
Interesting khichdi recipes are as follows :-
Simple Moong Dal and Rice
- In a large bowl rinse and soak ½ cup rice and ½ cup moong dal for 20 minutes.
- Wash, rinse and keep aside
- Use a cooker to heat 1 tsp Feed Smart A2 Desi Ghee and add the rinsed dal and rice.
- Sauté for two minutes, or until the dal turns aromatic.
- Now add ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp salt, and 3¼ cup water. Mix well.
- Cover and pressure cook for five minutes.
- Steps to make the masala :
- Use a large kadhai to heat 2 tbsp of Feed Smart A2 Desi Ghee. Add 1 tsp cumin, 1 herb, and a pinch of hing.
- Sauté on low flame until the spices turn aromatic.
- Now add 1 onion and 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and sauté well.
- Further, add 1 tomato and sauté until the tomato turns soft and mushy.
- Keeping the flame on low, add ¼ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chili powder, ½ tsp garam masala, and ½ tsp salt.
- Sauté for two minutes or until the spices turn aromatic.
- Now add cooked rice and dal from the cooker to the kadai.
- Also, add 1 cup water and blend well, adjusting consistency as required.
- Cover and simmer for five minutes or until the flavours are absorbed well.
- Once cooked, garnish with 2 tbsp coriander and enjoy with pickle and curd.
Moringa & Millet Khichdi –
- Wash millets and dal thoroughly until water runs clear.
- Soak for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- The longer they're soaked, the quicker and softer they turn, ideally 8 hours is recommended for Millets.
- Drain them in a colander.
- Heat an autoclave or pot and add Feed Smart A2 Desi Ghee.
- Add cumin and let it splutter.
- Sauté ginger until a pleasant flavour comes out.
- Add Moringa & amchur spice blend
- Add all the veggies including tomato.
- Sauté on a medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt & pepper to taste and any more masalas if you feel are required
- Sauté until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Then add drained millet and dal.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and check the salt.
- Pressure cook on a medium flame for 2-3 whistles.
- When the pressure drops, open the lid. Add another tsp of Feed Smart A2 Desi Ghee if you want before serving.
Kaali Dal Khichdi
- Wash and soak dal and rice in enough water for 3-4 hours.
- In a pressure cooker, heat ghee. Add cumin seeds and asafetida. Stir and add bay leaf, and cardamom.
- Let the seeds splatter for a moment.
- Now add the soaked dal and rice with 4 cups of water. Add salt.
- Cook for 2-3 whistles. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid and serve the khichdi warm with a dollop of Feed Smart A2 Desi Ghee.
- This is best served with lehsun ka raita.
Semolina & Seeds Powder Khichdi
- To start with, wash, rinse & roast the semolina.
- Then, place a pan over medium flame and add Feed Smart A2 Desi Ghee to it. Once the Feed Smart A2 Desi Ghee is hot, add semolina (rawa) and roast until it turns brown. Transfer semolina to a bowl and keep it aside.
- Now in the same pan, heat Feed Smart A2 Desi Ghee and add mustard seeds, sauté for two minutes. To this, add chana dal and urad dal, and roast them until the colour changes to light brown.
- Let the combination cook well, while you keep stirring occasionally. Once the dals are well roasted, add in the ginger, green chilies, onion pieces, and curry leaves. Keep sauteing until the onions lose their colour. Season with turmeric powder and stir nicely.
- Next, add the chopped vegetables to the mixture prepared above. Add carrots, tomatoes, and peas and blend them well with the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Now pour water into the pan along with salt. Bring the water to a boiling temperature and once done, mix it with the roasted semolina. Add the roasted semolina in 3-4 batches. Keep on mixing the batter to avoid lump formation in the mixture.
- When all the water evaporates, close the flame and add coriander leaves, stir the khichdi 2-3 times, add FS seeds powder and garnish with roasted cashews or curry leaves.
- Serve it with chilled curd, coconut chutney, and sambhar for best results.
Use these interesting recipes next time you are trying to eat or feed your kids healthy and delicious khichdi. A well-made khichdi is not only wholesome but also very tasty and flavoursome.
For the latest Update visit our Instagram page